When the sun is shining and the kids are ready to play breakfast should be quick and easy for moms and dads to get the kids out the door. Having these items prepared and ready for the kids to grab and go can make breakfast a breeze.
Having items pre-packed and ready to go is key!
1. Single-serving bowls or baggies of whole-grain cereal are packed with vitamins and minerals.
2. Pair string cheese with whole wheat crackers.
3. Hard-boil several eggs to have on hand for the kids to grab and go.
4. Small cartons of low-fat yogurt are a good combination of carbohydrates and protein/have small containers of pre-cut fruit on hand to stir in for added nutrition.
5. Whole-grain English muffins can serve as a base for a breakfast sandwich. Spread on peanut butter, a source of satisfying protein and heart-healthy fats.
With kids getting more active on those long summer days it’s important for them to start their day right and have snacks on hand throughout the day to keep their energy up! Be sure to keep them hydrated on those hot sunny days as well!
Kristin Harris is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.