Wondering what to give your child for those after school activities? Whether it be hockey, skiing, swimming, dance or taekwondo that your child has to go to, they’ll need a little snack before they finally make it home for supper.
Try to avoid quick snacks such as those you can get at a vending machine, canteen or corner store. When on the run, try these healthy snack ideas:
- Fresh fruit such as bananas, apples, clementines and sliced melons with a piece of hard cheese or granola bar
- Cheese (hard cheese, cheese string, babybell, etc) and crackers
- English muffin with hard cheese or peanut butter
- Yogurt or yogurt tubes with dry cereal
- Fruit smoothie made with frozen berries, milk and yogurt
- Homemade trail mix that includes oats, granola, almonds, dry cereal and dried berries
**Avoid buying high calorie and high sugar drink such as juice, pop and sports drinks. Don’t forget to bring along a water bottle filled with cold water. Water is this best choice to help hydrate your child after sports!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador