We all know the importance of keeping our heart healthy and strong and every day we try to improve our health and habits to do just that. February is Heart Health Month; let’s try to promote healthy living and good nutrition to children by showing them the importance of a healthy lifestyle for a healthy heart!
In your Kids Eat Smart Clubs promote heart health habits by……
– Whole grain breads, cereals, crackers, rice and pastas
– Fresh and frozen fruits
– Other high fiber foods like oatmeal and granola
– Dairy such as milk and yogurt
* As a general rule, when reading nutrition labels, anything you want more of (i.e. fiber), look for greater than 15% DV….these are great choices for your club!
– Processed foods that are high in sodium
– Refined grains such as white breads, cereals, crackers, rice and pasta
– Foods that have little nutrition but high in calories such as saturated and trans fats
* As a general rule, when reading nutrition labels anything you want less of (i.e. sodium, cholesterol, fat, trans fat and sat fat) look for less than 5% DV….these are great choices for your club!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador