Sometimes eating healthy can be made easier by simply changing the way we serve up healthy foods. Check out this simple recipe – who would have thought about a smoothie in a bowl! Kids will love it! Serve up this healthy morning smoothie in a bowl, load it with fruit, nuts and granola. Use whatever fruits you have on hand to make the smoothie and top with your favorite nuts and granola.
Breakfast Smoothie Bowl
What You Will Need
- 1 cup fresh ripe blackberries, rinsed
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- assorted fruits and nuts for garnish, use strawberries, raspberries, tangerine segments, sliced bananas, chopped kiwi and Spanish peanuts,
Honey Flax Granola
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- Set oven to 350F
- To make the granola, toss the oats with the oil, honey, and flax seeds to coat well.
- Spread the oats out onto a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the oats are golden brown. I give the pan a stir several times during the baking. Let cool.
- To make the smoothie, put the berries in a blender and blend until pureed. Add the yogurt and blend again until smooth.
- Spoon the yogurt into a shallow bowl and top with assorted fruits and nuts. Sprinkle the granola over the top and enjoy.
Recipe and image sourced from: http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/breakfast-smoothie-bowl/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.