Kids Eat Smart Club Coordinators are busy preparing for the start of their programs in the coming weeks !
Here are a few ideas to help you plan your menu this year:
- Include food from 3 of the 4 food groups for breakfast and 2 of the 4 food groups for a snack – use Eating Well With Canada’s Food Guide as a reference.
- Include only foods that are approved by the School Food Guidelines.
- Include fruit daily on your menu.
- Include milk daily on your menu.
- Introduce fun foods for the kids to experiment with throughout the year. Smoothies are a fast and fun way to ensure we are using up all of our fruit at the end of the week – the bonus is kids love them! Check out this recipe below to try at your KES club this year.
Berry Simple Smoothie
- 2 cup bananas, slice
- 2 cup strawberries
- 2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 100% orange juice
- Blend all ingredients in blender, serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from: www.produceforkids.com
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.