We don’t often see pears served in our KES Clubs, but most people enjoy pears, and so do children! Pears are a delicious treat to add to your Club menu, even better as a smoothie. We know that pears can often be a less affordable fruit than others, but if on sale or if donated, it’s a great recipe to try…you can even use tin fruit if you wish. This recipe is perfect for the fall, give it a try at home or your KES Club! Please remember that these amounts reflect one large serving, you may adjust by number of students you expect to serve and serving size you will be serving:
- 1 very ripe pear, cut into small pieces (or use can pears in its own juice or water)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- Optional: handful of spinach
- Optional: ice if you desire a more cool slushy smoothie
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
- Puree until smooth and enjoy immediately.
Recipe and retrieved from: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/975203/3-fall-smoothies
Janel Genge is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador