With the warm weather many families will be hitting the road over the next few weeks to head to the cabin or out camping. When making up your grocery list for these fun getaways be sure to include lots of fruits and veggies and healthy foods that don’t need much preparation. Here are some tips for packing up for your camping or cabin adventures:
- Pack ready to go healthy whole foods such as: whole fruit, vegetables, nuts, precooked eggs, precooked chicken or beef, healthy whole grains such as instant oatmeal.
- Ensure foods that need to be kept cold are in a cooler on ice and eat these items first.
- For pancakes, mix your dry ingredients and place in a zip-top bag and write on the outside what wet ingredients to add.
Look for ways to use leftovers in other meals. Grilled meats make breakfast scrambles and burritos as well as sandwiches for lunch.
- 2 teaspoons salt-free fiesta lime seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash brand
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips (this can be prepped beforehand)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups green, yellow, and/or red sweet pepper strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 (6 inch) 100% whole wheat flour tortillas, such as Mission brand
- ½ cup refrigerated salsa
- ¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Light firewood or charcoal and let campfire burn down to medium-hot embers. Top with grill rack.
- Have chicken prepared in spices beforehand.
- Add cast iron pan to grill wrack. Add oil with veggies.
- Cook veggies add precooked chicken to warm.
- Compile ingredients in tortilla wrap, add salsa and toppings and serve.
Recipe sourced from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/259866/fireside-fajitas/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.