With kids busy playing in the hot summer sun it’s so important to keep them hydrated and energized with cool summer treats. Ensuring our kids are hydrated and are taking breaks from the hot summer heat is so important. Having fun, fresh, easy snacks on hand is key! Prepare this Fresh Summer Salsa ahead of time to have on hand when the kids are looking for snacks. Serve straight from the fridge so it’s a nice cool treat.
Fresh Summer Salsa
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion (finely chopped)
- 2 small cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- 2 chile peppers (hot or mild, chopped)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer; pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain thoroughly. Discard the water. All the chopped onion and garlic to fully cool.
- Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, corn, cilantro, and lime juice. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to blend the flavors.
- Serve as a dip or a condiment with Mexican style dishes. It can be refrigerated for up to 5 to 7 days.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-fresh-salsa-3060434
Kirstin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.